
This is a picture of Michelle, who I went to visit, and Maria Piedad who works at a school for disabled children. They have about 138 students, some of whom are infants. Many have Cerebral Palsy. The school provides physical therapy as well as learning stations like bread-making, vegetable cultivation and woodworking/tapestry. Some of the items produced are then sold to teach the kids how to manage money and provide a little income.

This 7-year-old boy and I became fast friends. He was sharp as a tack but is unable to walk due to underdeveloped legs. He's drinking a large cup of milk because he's a bit malnourished. Some kids attend the school just in the mornings or just in the afternoons, but this little boy is there all day.

One day Michelle and I did a recreational activity for a deaf school. Students, parents and teachers all came to participate in games like
pass the Life Savor. Praise God for withholding the rain! We had beautiful weather - in fact, it was so sunny that I got a bit sun-burned.

This game involved dressing the "bride" and "groom" in toilet paper. The young man pictured here is the reason Michelle first got involved in helping the deaf school. He lives in her neighborhood and she provides bus money and lunch everyday for him so that he can go to school.

One lesson I learned from Michelle is that just because these kids are deaf doesn't mean they are quiet! They too can laugh and shout for joy and that's just what they did.
0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home