News from Suz

Welcome to News from Suz. This blog is my attempt to creatively communicate and exhibit the works of God in my life as well as what He's teaching me through them. It also keeps my partners and prayer-warriors in ministry up to date and in the loop. Be sure to check back every week or so for the latest updates.

Tuesday, May 08, 2007

Tico Times

Jose Andres, a young, curly-haired Costa Rican engineering student, recently met with me over a burger and fries to tell me of his interest in being a cross-cultural missionary. He explained that he sensed God calling him a year ago but thought it was merely a fleeting emotion. Now a year later, Jose Andres realizes that it is not a fleeting emotion, but a more mature desire to serve God wherever He calls. He knew there would be a few obstacles but God is clearing them one at a time, possibly making way for Jose Andres to attend Formacion in August.

As I sat there listening to Jose Andres and trying to answer all of his questions, I realized how much work I still need to do to get the training program ready by the end of August. As a result, I have been excitedly slaving away on a list of classes, the class schedule, potential professors and a whole host of other things. I am also in the process of interviewing former Formacion participants so that I can adjust the program based on their evaluations. It is an enormous task, but I find great joy as I join God in it.

Another thing I find great joy in doing is going on an early-morning walk several times a week. On Monday as I was walking by the house of my neighbor, Gabriela, she called out to me. She invited me to a baby shower this Friday for our other new neighbor, Fiona. I told her I would gladly be there and am looking forward to using this as an opportunity to get to know the other neighbors better.

The other night my neighbor Marjori, her dad, and Marjori’s daughter, Kelly, came over to help me replace a hose on my washer. We talked a bit and got to know one another a little better in the process. It was then I had a small epiphany. I had been wondering why I had been having so many problems with my new apartment (a broken shower head, a faulty water tank, a bad battery on my alarm etc.). It occurred to me that I usually asked my neighbors for help with these problems and that perhaps God was using them as an answer to my prayer that I would have opportunities to get to know them. While I would much prefer to do that at a baby shower, I will take whatever opportunities He gives me.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home