News from Suz

Welcome to News from Suz. This blog is my attempt to creatively communicate and exhibit the works of God in my life as well as what He's teaching me through them. It also keeps my partners and prayer-warriors in ministry up to date and in the loop. Be sure to check back every week or so for the latest updates.

Saturday, January 27, 2007

Reflections

Since arriving back in Southern California Monday night, I have spent a considerable amount of time downloading and labeling the 1200 pictures I took. Hopefully more of these will appear on the blog within the next week or so. I have also been reflecting on the many places I saw and the things I learned.

I can honestly say that my experiences in Turkey, Greece, and Rome and what I learned there will forever change the way I read Scripture. It is amazing to hear the name of a Biblical city and have an image of that place spring up in my mind. When I think of Laodicea, I'll remember the water tower I saw there with pipes still intact. When I hear Philippi mentioned, I will think of the hike I took to a mountain top overlooking the ancient city. When I read about Assos and Troas, I'll remember the fishing villages I walked through and the clear blue harbor I sat next to.

Rome, Italy was one of my favorite places that we visited. Seeing the Sistine Chapel and hearing about its creation was a highlight for me. The Vatican was an impressive place and much grander than I could have imagined. A small group of us walked about six miles through some of the major sites in Rome on our last day there. We saw the Pantheon, the Colosseum, the Maritime prison where Paul was held and much more. Walking down to the prison cell was very sobering. It was damp and dark. I felt claustrophobic after only being in there a few minutes. It gave me new insight as to the depth of character and perseverance Paul had, especially as I returned to States and the comforts of home.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home