News from Suz

Welcome to News from Suz. This blog is my attempt to creatively communicate and exhibit the works of God in my life as well as what He's teaching me through them. It also keeps my partners and prayer-warriors in ministry up to date and in the loop. Be sure to check back every week or so for the latest updates.

Tuesday, June 26, 2007

Tico Times

Have you ever had a divine appointment? I define divine appointments as those seemingly “chance” meetings or encounters with others that leave you feeling like God just did something amazing. The interaction during these encounters typically results in some kind of blessing that undeniably originates from God.

A blessing is exactly what I received on Friday when I met with a 20-year-old university student who is a brand new believer. She arrived with a big smile and a bag full of coconut cookies (I liked her immediately). Diana and I have mutual friends who thought I could help Diana grow in her relationship with God. Before committing to do so, I wanted to meet and get to know her.

In the course of our conversation I sensed a child-like innocence about her and an incredible, genuine curiosity to know more of God. It was clear through her insightful questions that she wanted to learn how to live a true Christian life. At one point she asked me how I pray. It nearly melted my heart and I wondered if Jesus had a similar sensation when the disciples asked him to teach them to pray.

As I was telling her my story of how I became a missionary, I mentioned that I had been doing a devotional on Jonah. She had no idea who Jonah was. It was hard to hide my surprise. Too often I take for granted that Costa Rica is a reached country and has a general understanding of the story of God. Not true. In order to help Diana know God and His Word better, we will start meeting regularly and working through the Bible together in a chronological fashion. I cannot wait to see the look in her eyes as God begins to reveal more and more of Himself to her through His Word. I have the best job in the world!

1 Comments:

Blogger april said...

Woohoo! What an incredible opportunity to bless and be bless! I hope that is a refreshing respite from office work and planning curriculum.

7:52 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home