News from Suz

Welcome to News from Suz. This blog is my attempt to creatively communicate and exhibit the works of God in my life as well as what He's teaching me through them. It also keeps my partners and prayer-warriors in ministry up to date and in the loop. Be sure to check back every week or so for the latest updates.

Tuesday, March 20, 2007

Tico Times

Shortly after 7:00 on Sunday morning, I ventured out of the house and began my 15-20 minute walk to a new church I discovered in the town of San Pablo. I started off on the main street, which was nice and quiet for a change, and then made a right turn alongside the coffee fields. Soon I was making my way through a residential area and eventually I arrived at the church, Cristo Centro.

I was warmly greeted and quickly took a seat to listen to the announcements that were being given. I looked around taking in my surroundings. The church building had a small warehouse kind of feel. There were about 40 people, but then again, this was the early service.

After the musical portion of the worship ended, a man went up to the front to welcome everyone and asked if there were any newcomers (as he looked directly at me). I nodded my head. He asked my name. I told him. A woman came over and gave me a hug. I sat back down thinking, “phew, they aren’t going to make me say anything else or go up front.” Just as the thought crossed my mind, I was asked to go up front. “Oh no!” I thought. As I got up there, the worship director began leading the musicians and the congregation in a song called, “You are Special.” The whole church sang it just to me. I politely smiled as I entered into a fleeting moment of culture shock. “Never in a million years would my church do this in the States,” I mused to myself.

The Pastor made his way up front and taught from a handful of passages, using a video projector as an aid to his message. The video projector had also been used during the music time, which I found to be a relief since I didn’t know all the words to the songs. The sermon ended about 9:40am, which was just over 2 hours after the service began. This is a typical length for a church service in Costa Rica.

After the service, I met the Pastor and his wife as well as a woman named Susy. She leads a women’s ministry and I look forward to chatting with her more about that. She gave me her business card as I looked over to a group of people that had been in the first service with me. They were enjoying a traditional Costa Rican breakfast called Gallo Pinto. “Note to self,” I thought, “don’t eat breakfast before you come to church next time.”

3 Comments:

Blogger Kelsey said...

You are special indeed! ;)

4:37 PM  
Blogger april said...

Many churches in Cameroon do that too--sing a song to the visitors. And all visitors stand and say their names, and give greetings from wherever they're from. :-) Yup, different from here!

8:24 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh, wow... This story made me laugh. you are very special, Miss Suzie. :) Very special and missed too. Blessings on your head. I am praying for you.
Much Love, jessica

10:39 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home