Talbot Times
Beauty
Beauty. When you think about that word, what are the first images that come to mind? Please send me a comment and let me know. I've been asked to speak on this topic at the end of next month for wives of Talbot students and faculty and would really appreciate your insight and ideas. I am still in the brainstorming process and somehow I just brainstorm better when other people are sharing their ideas with me.
Classes
My classes continue to go well and to stimulate my thinking. I wrestled with ethical/moral decision-making yesterday as I engaged in a class discussion about a patient admitted to a hospital. He needed surgery and if he had it, he would be cured. Unfortunately he was a Jehovah's Witness and as such, could not receive a blood-transfusion (according to the beliefs of his religion). While his wife consented to the surgery, she did not consent to the blood-transfusion. Since the physicians respected her wishes, the man died. In class we wrestled with: Was this the right decision on the part of the physician? What would I have done? Was it morally correct?
We will continue to address other moral and ethical issues as the class continues and I believe that it will be very helpful as I serve in ministry and meet with people going through difficult situations.


3 Comments:
Hi Suzie! I found your blog :)
I just started summer school last night for 4 lovely hours, I'm envious that you are officially on summer break now!! Emily and I thought that we should do lunch sometime before you head to Costa Rica... congrats on being done with another semester! :)
Hi Suzie,
I wanted to post on your blog about passionate humility, but don't know how... so here I am. Brennen Manning in his book Ruthless Trust has a chapter titled Humble Confidence that might be helpful if you have not yet read it. It's one of my favorite books so if you have some time I recommend reading all of it. Congrats on your website!
Much love,
Laurel
Hi Suzie. Thanks for sharing your thoughts with all of us! (Your blog looks great, by the way). 'Glad to hear that things are going well for you.
I took Cults of America from Prof. Lewis in 1997 and I can't imagine trying to digest all that material in three weeks!
For what it's worth, I've been meeting weekly with a Jehovah's Witness since last September. Some of the things I learned in that class have been very helpful in my conversations with him; others have been less effective than I would have hoped. I think you're right about the two main thoughts that you took away from the class (i.e. the importance of being able to demonstrate Christian teachings from Scripture, and knowing a bit about the other person's theology). It's also a good thing to keep in mind that virtually every important tie that the cultist has in his or her life is going to directly involve the cult at some level. So, when God gives us the opportunity to meet with a Mormon, a Jehovah's Witness, or whoever, we ought to expect to be in it for the long haul. When it comes to evangelism, there are no "silver bullets" that can substitute for a careful study of God's word guided by the illumination of the Holy Spirit. Of course, given your experiences in Costa Rica you probably already knew that!
= )
Blessings,
Jeff
Post a Comment
<< Home